UHC issues addressed in Benin
- Participation of the informal sector in UHC (currently only 20% covered).
- With ARCH, establish functioning and universal insurance scheme (previous health insurance scheme not working, only public servants insured)
Collective Action Initiatives at end of L4UHC programme (mid-2017)
- Participants’ team met with relevant stakeholders (ARCH1 health insurance model, health reform commission), sensitized political leaders.
- Participants’ team worked on financing strategy.
1Assurance pour le Renforcement du Capital Humain.
Progress made since the programme finished
- New insurance scheme currently being piloted in the North Zone of Benin (process still at the beginning): pilot aims to enroll and classify the population along different social categories, each of which comes with a specific fee and care package; after the North, the insurance will be launched throughout the country, following up on legal obligations for providing UHC.
- Package for basic care and health services being defined.
- Key actors in the informal sector being identified to be integrated in the process.
- Study on financing potential of UHC being conducted.