Low levels of public investment, high out-of-pocket expenditure, and poor coordination are some of the challenges that have slowed UHC’s progress in Myanmar. But the country’s latest plan could help overcome those issues.
To tackle those problems, Myanmar’s National Health Plan 2017-2021 provides a roadmap for achieving UHC in three five-year phases via the progressive roll out of an Essential Package of Health Services, guided by the principles of equity, inclusiveness, accountability, efficiency, sustainability and quality.
UHC service coverage index: 60.7%
Physicians per 1,000 population: 0.7
Catastrophic expenditure: 14.4%
Completed Collective Action Initiatives
Advocate for UHC in Kayin State
- Reviewed Kayah State Health Plan;
- Identified and selected two townships for UHC promotion;
- Developed and revised the questionnaire for interviewing key stakeholders;
- Developed a proposal and budget with NIMU;
- Conducted EHO clients’ satisfaction survey (health care providers, clients, management).